Friday, February 20, 2015

Crowd Pleasing Green Bean Casserole

I have made green bean casserole so many ways.  It's amazing to make from scratch, but for Thanksgiving 2014, I was cooking 3 different casseroles (green bean, broccoli rice, and squash) for a big crowd, so I needed  to keep is simple. 
What is more simple than 
Honestly, it's delicious
I know some people do not care for it, but I happen to love it. 
My biggest challenge was determining how much of it I needed to make. 
I decided this time, I'd make notes of how I made it and how it tasted so that I know next Thanksgiving if this recipe was a "keeper"
So, here is my version of green bean casserole for a crowd


CROWD PLEASING GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Ingredients (classic recipe)
  • 4 cans (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 4 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 8 cans (14.5 ounces) cut green beans ( I prefer these over french green beans)
  • 4 1/3 cups french fried onions
Extra Twist- Sauteed Mushrooms 
(if you want to "jazz" it up)
  • 1 pkg fresh button mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup sherry
  • 1/4 cup half n half 
Directions
  • Preheat oven 350 degrees
  • Set aside 1 1/3 cups french fried onions
  • Whisk together soup, milk, soy sauce, and pepper to make the sauce
  • Toss green beans with sauce in a baking dish (I used a large foil roasting dish as I was taking this to another location)
  • Add the sauteed mushrooms if you went for the "extra twist"
  • Bake casserole for 40-45 minutes, until the mixture begins to bubble around the edges
  • Stir the mixture and sprinkle with reserved french fried onions
  • Bake another 5-10 minutes until onions begin to brown
I prepared this the day before serving. I place saran wrap first then wrapped with heavy duty foil.  I used a black sharpie to write the cooking temp and instructions on the outside. 






No comments:

Becoming More Than Just a Good Bible Study Girl

We kicked off our bible study on Saturday. This is our 7th book over the last 5 years. I am really excited about this book. It was just r...