Friday, February 20, 2015

Crowd Pleasing Broccoli Rice Cheese Casserole

For Thanksgiving 2014, I decided to make 3 casseroles.  
Green Bean, Broccoli Rice, and Squash

I have only made broccoli rice casserole several times. I always search the internet and Pinterest to get ideas when I do not have a "go to" recipe. 

 I decided to use Paula Deen's Broccoli Casserole as my base then added a couple cups of rice to it.  

The challenge like the Green Bean Casserole is the amount I needed to make. 

Broccoli Rice Casserole

Broccoli Rice Casserole with Topping


Crowd Pleasing Broccoli Rice Casserole
Ingredients
  • 4 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
  • 4 cups cooked white rice
  • 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 (10 3/4 ounces) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 cups crackers, crushed
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • salt and pepper to taste
Extra Twist- Sauteed Mushrooms 
(if you want to "jazz" it up)
  • 1 pkg fresh button mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup sherry
  • 1/4 cup half n half

Directions
  • Preheat oven 350 degrees
  • Spray a large foil roasting pan with cooking spray
  • Cook broccoli per the directions on package - set aside to cool
  • Cook rice per the directions on the package - set aside to cool
  • In the pan, combine broccoli, rice, mayo, cheese, soup, eggs (make sure the rice and broccoli are cool so the eggs do not scramble), and "extra twist" sauteed mushrooms
  • Mix well - don't forget the salt and pepper 
  • Top with crushed crackers and pour the melted butter evenly over the crackers
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes
I prepared this the day before serving. I place saran wrap first on top of the casserole then wrapped the pan with heavy duty foil.  I used a black sharpie to write the cooking temperature and instructions on the outside of the foil.   





No comments:

Becoming More Than Just a Good Bible Study Girl

We kicked off our bible study on Saturday. This is our 7th book over the last 5 years. I am really excited about this book. It was just r...